European Feed Materials Register
Regulation (EC) No 767/2009 on the placing on the market and use of feed states in article 24(6): “the person who, for the first time, places on the market a feed material that is not listed in the Catalogue shall immediately notify its use to the representatives of the European feed business sectors referred to in Article 26(1). The representatives of the European feed business sectors shall publish a Register of such notifications on the Internet and update the Register on a regular basis”.
All information provided on this website is provided “as-is” without warranty of any kind. Your access to and use of the information related to feed materials notified by feed business operators is at your sole risk. No warranty or representation is made, express or implied, that the information contained or referenced herein is accurate, current, or complete. Furthermore, the developers and owners of this website shall not be liable in any manner whatsoever for direct, incidental, special, consequential or punitive damage resulting from the use of, or inability to use, any of the information contained or referenced in this website or any information that is provided through linked websites. The developers and owners of this website reserve their rights to remove illegal or abusive notifications.
4 January 2017: The Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed - Section Animal Nutrition voted in favour of the third upgrade of the EU Catalogue of Feed Materials, based on the submission from the EU Feed Chain task Force on the Catalogue of Feed Materials. The updated version (still not official) can be found among the list of available documents below and is expected to be published in the Official Journal in April / May 2017. All new entries in the catalogue will be withdrawn from the present register without prenotification to applicants.
4 February 2014: Applicants are invited to check carefully the feed materials status of their products before notifying them to the present register. To this end, the representatives of the EU feed business sectors encourage applicants to use, among others, the Classification tool developed and made available by FEFANA at http://www.fefana.org/ClassTool/.
The classification tool is intended to help the feed business operators to determine the legal feed status of products. The representatives of the EU feed business sectors do not take any responsibility in the use of the classification tool and in the further decision made by the operators. The placing of products and substances on the market and notification to the register of feed materials stays under the sole responsibility of the operator.
4 February 2014: The call for proposals for the third update of the EU Catalogue of feed materials is closed. The submissions will now be assessed by the representatives of the EU feed business sectors who will decide whether to take them on board or not. Due to the length of the procedure, the publication of the third update of the EU Catalogue of feed materials will take place at the end of 2014 at the earliest.
15 November 2013: The representatives of the EU feed business sectors started working on the third update of the EU Feed Materials Catalogue. Feed business operators are invited to use the contact button of the present website to propose suggestions for further amendments to the catalogue (new entries or amendments to description, including maximum contents for chemical impurities from the manufacturing process and from processing aids) before 15 January 2014.
- This call does not concern amendments related to the translation from the English version of the catalogue into national languages. Requests for amendments due to inappropriate translation shall be addressed with national authorities.
- As a matter of principle, only feed materials listed in the register of feed materials are eligible for “transfer” into the catalogue.
- For proposals for new entries, requests for inclusion in the Catalogue should specify the name of the feed material, its category, a proper description as well as proposed labelling particulars. In addition, the applicant shall specify the present registration number of the product as delivered by the Register of Feed materials.
- The purpose of the ongoing update of the Catalogue of Feed materials is to focus on essential amendments of existing entries and essential new entries.
This message does not guarantee that proposals for amendments / new entries of the Catalogue of Feed Materials that would be submitted to Organisations of the EU feed business sectors will be endorsed by them, forwarded in all or partial form to EU authorities and included in the next version of the EU Catalogue of Feed Materials as published in the Official Journal of the European Union.
30 January 2013: Further to the publication of Regulation (EU) No 68/2013 updating the EU Catalogue of Feed Materials, entries corresponding to feed material names now included in the Catalogue will be progressively removed from the Register. We recommend operators to regularly check that their feed materials comply with the requirements set for the EU Catalogue of Feed Materials and the Register, as applicable.
ABOUT THE REGISTER
To assist feed business operators in registering their feed materials as required, the EU organisations representing the European feed business sectors listed hereafter have developed a registration tool that enables the publication and regular update of a “user-friendly” Register within the mandate of Regulation (EC) No 767/2009. Any notification submitted by other means (letter, email, fax, etc.) will not be accepted.
This website is composed of two main sections:
We invite feed business operators to read carefully the two following documents before starting notification:
- A Q&A (updated 04 02_2014) addressing questions related to the legal provisions with recommendations: this is for guidance only (see disclaimer). Questions related to legal obligations must be submitted to the competent authorities and not to the representatives of the European feed business sectors.
- A guide to the notifying feed business operators (updated 04 02 2014) addressing in particular issues related to the registration procedure. Any question regarding this guide and in general the practical aspects of the registration procedure can be communicated to us via the contact section.
- Feed business operators may not notify to the register a feed material under a name listed in the EU Catalogue of feed materials (Regulation (EU) No 68/2013)
List of representatives of the European feed business sectors:
APAG, CEFS, COCERAL, COFALEC, Copa-Cogeca, EABA, EAPA, EDA, EFPRA, EFFPA EMFEMA, EUCOLAIT, EUROMALT, European Flour Millers, EUSALT, FEDIAF, FEDIOL, FEFAC, FERM, FoodDrinkEurope, IFFO, IMA-Europe, spiritsEUROPE, Starch Europe and The Brewers of Europe.
Notifying feed business operators should in addition note that:
- The legal purpose of this Register is to increase market transparency as referred to in (whereas (30)) of Regulation (EC) No 767/2009.
- Feed business operators having notified a feed material in accordance with the present procedure shall be considered as having met the obligation provided for in article 24(6) of Regulation (EC) No 767/2009.
- The presence of a feed material in the Register does not provide any information in relation to its safety for use as a feed material. It therefore does not exempt individual feed business operators from their responsibility as regards the safety of feed as provided for in Article 4 of Regulation (EC) No 767/2009 and in accordance with the General Food Law (Regulation (EC) No 178/2002) and the Feed Hygiene legislation (Regulation (EC) No 183/2005).
- The current website, including the notification procedure, is provisional and possibly subject to further modifications.
- For practical reasons, only notifications containing all the information required and submitted via the online registration tool will be accepted as complete. Any notification submitted by any other means (letter, email, fax, etc.) cannot be accepted.
- A notification to this Register is not an application for listing of the feed material in the EU Catalogue of feed materials (article 24 of Regulation (EC) No 767/2009).
- The information listed in the Register is the sole responsibility of the notifying feed business operator, as we as representatives of the European feed business sectors have no mandate to “pre-check” the validity of the information provided in the notification.
- The presence of a product in the Register does not provide any legal guarantee as to its feed material status. The developers and owners of this website reserve their rights to remove illegal or abusive notifications. Feed business operators are advised to check regularly for the legal status of the product they place on the market as feed material.
NB: the content of this website and the documents contained in it may be updated. You are invited to check them regularly.
Press release on 6 July 2011 (Fichier .pdf)
Press release on 30 January 2013 (Fichier .pdf)
Q&A Legal Requirements (Fichier .doc)
Guide to applicants (Fichier .doc)
3rd update of the catalogue (non official version) (Fichier .docx)